Jun 18, 2012

Rain Tree Cafe @Plaza Athénée Bangkok


Not very often I would find myself in a Hotel for buffet.
A friend of mine applied the member card of Plaza Athenee Hotel and acquired a 50% discount voucher for Rain Tree Café, the international buffet restaurant inside hotel.
The voucher is eligible for up to 10 persons, so she asked me and my friends to join her table for Sunday Brunch. (Not pretty sure about the full price, but the discounted price was 1660B net.)




Rain Tree Café’s Sunday Brunch is the most renowned meal of its own. With all you can eat Lobster, Foie gras, Wagyu and Movenpick ice cream as the highlight. Alcohol drinks are also included. And they even prepare weekly special dish, molecular food, prepared by the Chef in front of our eyes.


I dine out a lot, yet in the aspect of portion, I am not a big eater. I skip healthy salad and appetizer and went straight for main dishes like Lobster and Roasted Wagyu & Lamb.
The quality of food was nice yet I found the hot meat station over cooked most of the times. I was lucky enough to get moist and juicy Lobster for a couple of times, yet Lamb Chob was completely well done. Roasted Wagyu was cooked to the right doneness, yet I wonder if the Wagyu they use is a premium one, as there was no marbled fat to be seen in the meat. As if we were eating a nice Australia imported beef. (Which is not at all bad, by the way.)



Foie gras was generously served. Both pan-grilled one from the hot station and terrine one from cold cut station. Also there were few kinds of fresh Oyster, French one and Australian one, freshly cracked from the shell. The freshness was acceptable.




The special dish of the day was Fresh Ham and Tomato jelly, flavored with woody scent smoke. It was a delightful creation, as woody smoke gave a new sensation to the dish. While the ham and the smoke gave strong flavor, you tongue will be afterward refreshed by tanginess from tomato soup in jelly form slowly melting in your mouth.

We also had Frozen Cosmopolitan made from Apple Juice and Vodka foam being poached liquid nitrogen. The mixture turned out to be an fluffy icy apple vodka flavor foam dessert. The taste was like a common apple vodka sorbet, yet the texture was very interesting as liquid nitrogen froze the foam instantly, keeping the air inside the foam. The foam was completely frozen that once we put in in our mouths, our breaths turned to white color breezy smoke.  


Highlight among the highlight wouldn’t be anything else but the Movenpick Ice Cream. Caramel flavor is my favourite, pity it wasn’t available on the day of my visit. There were 7 flavors of them, Espresso/Swiss Chocolate/Raspberry/White Chocolate/Tiramisu/Pistachio/Maple Walnut. For me all creamy Movenoick Ice cream taste as good as Heaven Cloud. I had 12 scoops of them. Mostly Walnut and Tiramisu flavors. I didn’t even glance at other desserts like Apple Pie or Chocolate Mousse so I have no comment for other desserts.


Drinks were generally nice. I had Mojito and Sparlking wine. Also a cup of fine illy coffee cappuccino. The meal was great overall with 50% discount. Thank to my friend I had a pleasant Sunday afternoon.

Rain Tree Cafe
Plaza Athénée Bangkok, A Royal Méridien Hotel
61 Wireless Road Lumphini Pathumwan 10330

Breakfast 05:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Lunch 12:00 PM - 02:30 PM
Dinner 06:00 PM - 10:30 PM
Brunch 12:00 PM - 03:00 PM

02-650-8800 

No comments:

Post a Comment