Jun 14, 2012

Cafe Tartine


I found it's hard these day any brunch-lover would never been to the renowned Café Tartine.

Cafe Tartine position themselves as a cafe. Sandwiches, Omelette, Quiche, Crepe and many more French comfort dishes. As a plus, All menu are available in reasonable price and the portion is generous. Personally I think putting down Café Tartine with the other word like French Bistro wouldn’t be unjustified. 

Even though there are plenty of French bistros opening in Bangkok lately, what I found a huge advantage for Cafe Tartine is that the menu is very playful and flexible. They have D.I.Y. salad sand sandwiches starting from 75B. Groovy drinks menu like, Café latte in size XXL traditionally served in a bowl (That’s how a French enjoy drinking Café Latte.) or A glass of milk (40B) with additional shot of syrup (Vanilla, White Chocolate, Caramel, Hazelnut, Butterscotch). Aside from regular comfort dishes in the menu, Café Tartine is even bold enough to come up with special menu every day also.




On the day of my visit, Half Grilled Chicken with Garlic Jus was the special of the day. I seized the chance ordering it, also 3 other French comfort dishes. Later that I realize the portion of 4 dishes is way too much for a party of 2. Half Grilled Chicken with Garlic Jus came in Gigantic size, accompanied with a big bowl of thick-cut fries. I couldn’t possibly predict this portion from the reasonable price, only 199B. Chicken was nicely grilled, the meat was tender and juicy. The skin wasn’t crispy, yet the fat under the skin was completely gotten rid of. I found the Garlic Jus a bit too plain but caramelized onion helped intensify the taste.


Frankly speaking. I didn’t expect much of Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches when my friend ordered it. Yet surprisingly it was one of the best dish of the meal. Pork was well marinated, resulting in tenderness and juiciness. This cafe is brave enough to apply sufficient amount of mustard to the sandwich, and it gave the dish a delightful kick.    



The next one is Ham, Cheese and Béchamel sauce Crepe. The Crepe itself was a bit too thick to my liking. Rather like a pancake. Anyway, the Béchamel sauce inside was DELECTABLE that my friend and I had to say Wow! out loud. The sauce is very rich and concentrated. The last dish was the Omelette, which was fluffy and full flavor. The egg was perfectly half way cooked giving the soft and creamy texture.

I wanted to try their renowned Tart Tartin, yet we were too full for any solid sweets. So I ordered Chocolate Mousse for after meal dessert. I found it a rich fluffy custard based chocolate mousse with firm taste of chocolate.

I rarely mention about service, but I found it’s hard not to give a praise to their friendly and attentive service. Overall, Café Tartine is indeed a nice place that I would like to visit again. I had my mind on their Egg Benedict and Tart Tartin for next time.


Cafe Tartine
Open daily 8:00 - 20:00
02-168-5464 
Soi Ruamrudee at the Athenee Residence
65 Wireless Road (BTS Pleonchit)
Lumpini, Pathumwan
Bangkok 10330

2 comments: